Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You've Got Mail

Remember how exciting it was when you were a little kid to run to the mailbox and see if there was anything in there for you. There very rarely was, except of course around your birthday. And, maybe your parents were like mine and let you open the stuff labeled "resident." At only 15 months Emory is already tickled when I ask her if she wants to go with momma to check the mailbox. She doesn't care who the letters are for, she is just pumped she gets to take them out of the box.

When I was in college, the thrill was back again. We would run down to the Hub where our mailboxes were and hope there was something in there. On a really good day, there would be a little slip of paper that said you had a package!

After college, mail was not so fun anymore. Except for the occasional magazine or catalog, most everything was junkmail or BILLS! It's actually a good day when there isn't anything waiting.

Until NOW! Right now, we are in the process of applying with US Immigration to grant us permission to bring a child into the US. From what we understand the average approval time is about 8 weeks. About halfway through that time our social worker told us to expect to get a letter in the mail requesting us to get fingerprinted. We can't move forward until this happens. A few days ago, I was almost giddy as I opened our mailbox to find a letter from US immigration! Then, just a few microseconds later a little disappointed when it wasn't our fingerprinting appointment-instead it was a receipt letting us know that they received our application and money.

Two days later, I was in a hurry to get somewhere but checked the mail on my way out. A letter from Holt-our adoption agency-was waiting! I wasn't expecting anything from them-they almost always email us-was this something good, bad?! Instead another receipt!

All of sudden I am brought back to being a child again. Looking outside for the mailman-hoping he leaves me something! Each day has to bring us closer! Maybe there will be something inside for me today!

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Praying for you. This is a rough wait. I love you! Tell Emory hi for me... she'll probably dance or something.

    ReplyDelete